This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

60 Gallon Cube Tank Build Thread

Discussion in 'Member Tank Builds' started by John Phelan, Aug 27, 2015.

1. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I'm going to run a build thread here for my first Salt Water Reef Tank. I purchased everything from Dan at the Salty Critter and look forward to getting this up and running.

Today is literally day 1. I finished my plumbing tonight, added 2 bags of live sand and added 30 gallons of RO/DI Salt Water. Currently it is being heated with my tank heater just thrown into the bottom of the tank and a power head to keep it moving. Tomorrow i will add live rock and the balance of the water to top it off.

Here is what i have purchased for the build:

60 Gallon 24x24x24 Cube
    Black Stand Stand
    Pre Built Plexi Glass Sump
    Reef Octopus Skimmer
    Media Reactor for Carbon
    2 Tunze 6040 Nano Stream pumps
    150 Watt Eheim Jager Heater
    Tunze Return Pump
    Neptune Apex Controller

Need to purchase sooner than later:
    Auto top off system
    Auto top off water storage tank
    Other crap that i'm sure will come.

Final item of note is the last picture. As a kid my dad had a 55 gallon fish only salt water tank, in the center of it he had 2 pieces of decorative dead coral, at least the small one will make its way into my tank to remember my father by.

IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

2. DjTonTon

DjTonTon
    Expand Collapse
    Saltwater Addict
    C-SEA Member

love the colored pipe! looks good man. Dan at Salty is the best their whole staff is awesome a great store i get all my stuff from them!

when you get your tank up let me know ill get you some nice corals after its done cycling!

3. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Next progress update, i finally got my live rock on Thursday and finished my fill. I have run into a couple of issues so far but nothing i couldn't figure out.

New issues:
    Water leak in my plumbing at one of my unions, i just plumbed around it with straight pipe for now, and likely forever.

Had lots of bubbles in my return causing a fair amount of noise, fixing leak fixed lots of them but not all so any other ideas would be great.

Need to buy an extension to for my Kessel / Apex control line IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0102.JPG

Attached Files:

DjTonTon likes this.
  4. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

and the apex board IMG_0101.JPG

DjTonTon likes this.
  5. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

6. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Is your water level too low at your overflow ? Sometimes low water level will put air in the water.

7. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Not sure what you mean by to low? I have this type of drain system:
    Aquarium-Plumbing2.jpg

And no the water line is a bit lower than that. How would i get it to be higher? I assumed it would go to what ever level it was necessary and stay there. Wasn't sure i could control it

8. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Ya,your right,don't think you really can. But it has to be getting air somewhere.

9. rogerrgr

rogerrgr
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Looking good, you're off to a great start!

10. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

OK Quick update:

I have been up and running for 8 days now, not sure if my cycle is complete but I have been feeding my empty tank fish food for the last 3 days, so far no visible Amonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate accoding to my test kits. I did start with Live Rock and Live Sand and i have read i may not have much of a cycle at all with that.

If anyone thinks I should be seeing things on my tests please let me know, or if i need to do something other than feed my empty tank.

Here is a picture of my Tank and the light in the correct place, i needed an extension and picked it up since the last picture.
    IMG_0113.JPG

Also I decided I that having my sump in a 24x24 in box wasn't going to work for me. Also i'm not sure my sump is big enough as the skimmer takes up almost the entire drain chamber.

I decided i was going to replumb the tank to an external location, right next to the tank. I built the following box today to house my current sump and a 10 gallon Brute trash can for my ATO. If i do decide i need a skimmer or to add a Refugium i can fit a 40 breeder in this box. Dimensions are 42x24x24, and the top of fully removable to access my sump and other items.

IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0111.JPG

My wife told me i have a diease, i have only had this up for a week and i'm already making changes. Talking with a reefaholic friend he said this is normal and i will fit in quite well with other Reefers.

DjTonTon likes this.
  11. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Did you figure out your bubble issue? Its not a disease,but you did catch the bug ! Lol. Tell her there are far worse things you could be interested in ! Its looking great....maybe time for a fish. Alot of people start with a damsel and then find out they are not your best choice....unless you get a blue velvet damsel. If you go out to Aquatica,Steve has one in every tank he has. They will eat flat worms and other nasty little things that may come in on new corals,and will help cycle the tank too. Will you be coming to the club picnic ? You will be able to talk to many of us that have already have the "bug" ! Lol

12. Bowman

Bowman
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

John saw you your build thread the one thing that jumped out at me was the location of your electric outlet directly behind your sump. Water and electricity and water do not play nice together, saltwater is even worse. i don't know how your planning to isolate it but I would consider moving the tank a little so the outlet is not directly behind the tank, just my suggestion from experience. cheers

13. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Can do much about it location wise, will need to figure out a way to isolate it.

John

14. John Phelan

John Phelan
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

First Coral in the tank today, Candy Cane's and really really small Zoa's. The candy cane were pretty open within 3 hours, the Zoa's are small and just started opening tonight.
    IMG_4882.JPG
    IMG_4884.JPG

DjTonTon likes this.