This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Dosing

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussions' started by Erik Hopperton, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Erik Hopperton

Erik Hopperton
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

No more pouring every few nights. I hooked up the dosing pump finally. Now I get to test for some time to figure the correct amount.

Any advice on dosing? Only doing calcium and alkalinity for now.

gigglefish likes this.
  2. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I have been dosing for a while now using a GHL Doser 2 and I love it. Set it up once and forget it. I started using BRS 2 part but switched to Bionic because it also has Mag and trace elements in it and i love it. Dose both solutions equally 15 minutes apart. When figuring out how much to dose test your calc and alk on monday, wait 5 days, test again, and figure how much calc and alk your tank used. Divide that by 5 and thats your daily dosing amount. Set up your doser for that and at the beginning only make changes to how much you dose 1 time a week because changes happen slowly. You should be testing alk daily and calicum once every one-two weeks.

I dose into my sump but it should be done in a high flow area so i hooked up my dosing lines to my dosing line holder at the sump return section and then added a powerhead in the same chamber to make the water high flow. Works great.

I dose 50ml of alk and calc daily but i have my doser set up to dose very small amounts 75 different times thoughout a 24 hour period to minimize ph swings, changes, etc.. trying to have no impact on tank and dont want the color and fish to know im dosing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

By the way i really like Bionic! Has a bunch of trace elements in it unlike anyone else and you DONT have to does MAG!

3. Travenous

Travenous
    Expand Collapse
    Reef Scarecrow

I disagree with the set it and forget it when it comes to a doser. Your tanks needs change over time and you may need more or less depending on what's going on. I dose Alk and Cal as well, but I check my levels at least once a week and adjust my doser accordingly if needed.

Pro Tip: Your doser doesn't work good when the reservoir for what you're trying to dose is empty. I know this from experience.

davesfish likes this.
  4. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yeah, you took that comment VERY literal. I meant for someone to take it as automated dosing takes a lot of headache out of your life and you dont need to think about it constantly. In a way you do set it up and forget about it because your not thinking about it every waking moment but you are 100% correct. I calibate my doser monthly, check the levels daily, test alk daily, test calcium once a week, and mag once a month. You have to test and adjust doser as your tank demands go up or down based on coral load. Anyone that is thinking about buying a doser would research and find this information as well.

davesfish likes this.
  5. Erik Hopperton

Erik Hopperton
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Thanks guys I knew what was meant. I have clear reservoirs that are visible as I walk by.

6. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Make your feed and supply lines as short as possible. I have found that the longer they are the less accurate it is.

7. Erik Hopperton

Erik Hopperton
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Thank you for the pointers. I don't think it is going to take a lot each day but it is better then dumping 15mg every three to four days. My lines are only about 6" and 24". I checked for air bubbles today and purged all of them out. Both pumps calibrate to with in 20 settings of each other so I think I am close.

8. Erik Hopperton

Erik Hopperton
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

One question I do have is. My alk is cloudy when mixed and after a few days it starts to settle, is this normal?

#8 Erik Hopperton, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  9. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Mine is cloudy when I first mix it but quickly goes away. There shouldn't be any "settling" meaning particles settling on the bottom of the container. That would mean it's not mixed all the way.

What brand are you using?