This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Durso- A Quick Way To Quiet

Discussion in 'DIY & Hardware' started by its fry, Oct 1, 2015.

1. its fry

its fry
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

So for all of us who already own tanks, and already have internal overflow boxes... (IE can't go herbie now..)
    And for all of us who have not had success with other valve/gate options

THIS was a simple way I had success quieting my durso from top to bottom.

1. PVC Cap. Drill tiny hole. Insert airline tubing down a few inches. Trial and error, you'll notice the sound change as you are adjusting it farther down.

2. Mini sponges. Small ones up on the teeth of the overflow box.

3. Big sponge. This acrylic sock holder set attached well to my sump, and was bought at Aquatica. I was puzzled at what to place in the gap for the longest time to quiet it. Tried several things. The black sponge at Aquatica worked perfectly. Jammed it up into the bulkhead, and sounds like fizzing pop at the most.

DjTonTon likes this.
  2. its fry

its fry
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Aquatica. And thanks C-sea team for how easy it is now to post pictures....

3. TheSaint216

TheSaint216
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Go to aquatica and get a acrylic cover for the overflow box. Drill a hole in it for your air line. Get rid of the sponges. Go to depot and get some plastic tubing cut and run it from your drain below to below the waterline in the sock. Or hardline it below the waterline.

4. its fry

its fry
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Acrylic cover sounds nice. I'd have to check and see if it would have clearance on my cap, or would have to adjust the height of the durso pipe.

No way on the hard plumbing. It's not a syphon, so way too much air goes through to take it below the water line in the sock. I attempted a reverse durso, and about 5 other options of hard and soft plumbing. No luck with anything. All created a lot of flushing, splashing, or bubbling noise.

I'm all ears if you want to be more descriptive on a hard plumbing option that worked for you.