This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Jaculus 120 Reef / 120 Non-reef / 125 Gal Basement Sump/fuge

Discussion in 'Member Tank Builds' started by Jaculus, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Jaculus

Jaculus
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Alliance, OH but work in CLE/AKR/CANTON/YTOWN
    I have a build thread on our CRSWA site and a very old not updated thread on RC. Figured I would show my tanks here also.

I started years ago with a 29 BioCube with Steve's LED's and a full ReefKeeper Elite system running it. As most of you have experienced when you are hooked into this hobby the AIO tanks are great to get started but you outgrow them soon.

I got a 55 gal setup from a co-worker of my wife that was basically just getting it out of the house because it was her ex husbands tank. It was over grown with red algae and very old T5 bulbs. BUT it had a barely alive cup coral and a ton TON of Frogspawn that was seemingly loving the dirty conditions. I got that all hooked up and moved my stuff from my BC29 into it with new sand etc. But that did not last long either before I got a 120 from lawdog (on RC) and around the same time I got a old used 125 gal 6ft tank for a sump/fuge in the basement AND a 120 for my wife to have some larger fish that are not reef safe. We called it a FOWLR tank but since has gotten some LPS and some GSP etc that the big Creme Angel leaves alone.

Lessons learned are the same as many, go slow, and build big,, bigger than you think you need then even go bigger lol (if your budget allows). Buy quality used when you can and always keep up with maintenance.

I will start with the reef tank. Next post,,,,,,

DjTonTon likes this.
  2. Jaculus

Jaculus
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Reef tank is an acrylic tank I got off Lawdog (from RC) and I bought about half the rock from West Mariculture (its the stuff on the right) I absolutely love the stuff. I will be getting one of his bonsai trees for more zoa garden growth to put at the front left of the tank also. The rock at the back left is all stacked and is from my first tanks still.

I started with Zoas, and Lots of LPS,, but recently in the last year or so, I have started dosing and maintaining consistent Ca, Alk, and MG levels with a very healthy well fed tank so I moved into some SPS. Monti and Chalices I think grow more than my chaeto does LOL. Actually all the monti and chalice you see in these two tanks I got from the LEAR swap earlier this year.

My pride and joy is my Clam top right shelf at right side. It's purple from the front but if you look at it from the top its a very bold and bright blue. The cup coral is doing very well also. LOTS and LOTS of zoas,, I love zoas and plan to continue filling the tank with more vairety of zoas. I am not into the super rare freaky named ones that cost a fortune. the rastas and bam bams are likley my most expensive ones.

Fish,, I am overstocked now and the Foxface has to go. He got too big as expected but now I have to catch him to get him out. I know the list is likley gonna be missing some but here is what i can recall

• Male and Female Mandarin Gobies
    • 5 (maybe 6) Blue/Green Chromis
    • 8 VERY HEALTHY and happy Anthias (one male)
    • One still young Yellow tang
    • One Foxface (was my best "employee" eating the small amounts of algae at times)
    • Three Oce Clowns (one female) one pair hosting in the Frogspawn and one other male in the Hammer colony to the left of the tank)
    • One Yellow and Orange Hawkfish (forgot the exact name)
    • One Bluefin Chromis (juveniles have the yellow at the top white body and blue lower fins) but mine has matured to all Navy Blue
    • One lone four stripe (Black and White) damsel
    • Blue Porcelin Crab
    • Scarlett Cleaner Shrimp
    • Yellow Jawfish
    • Three PJ Cardinals
    • Sea Cucumber
    Each fish has a name and other than the foxface being too large for this crowded tank they all get along very well since I feed heavy and often (for the anthias) I feed a mix of mysis or pacific planton with Rod's frozen and throw in some BRS reef Chilli.

I wont bore you with all the pics,, just a few lol

20151101_115954.jpg 20151024_124807.jpg 20151024_121250.jpg 20151024_115913.jpg 20151024_115833.jpg 20151003_112058.jpg 20151003_111959.jpg 20151003_111438.jpg 20151003_111433.jpg 20151003_111428.jpg

#2 Jaculus, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    DjTonTon likes this.
  3. Jaculus

Jaculus
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Next the 120 Fowlr (with some corals lol)

It is what we call the wifes tank. She gets to pick what goes in it and where and in return she pays for those lol. She enjoys this as much as I do.

tank is pretty hevily scratched up in spots from when I got it used that way. It just means that it is difficult to clean the glass with algae growing in the scratches. Much of this rock I got from West Mariculture (small stack of rock at the back) with the rest of the rock and some things from Mike660R when he got out of the hobby after his tank crashed a couple years ago.

Most of the fish I got from Ernie (puffster) on RC when he took down his one tank. These fish all have names and each fit their personality

• Three Blue damsels ("Three Stooges")
    • Two large engineer gobies ("Bonnie and Clyde" since these are also called "Convict gobies")
    • a Blue dot Damsel (it has a name and is not common but I can not recall the name of the fish,,, His name is "Double D")
    • Large Healthy Sailfin Tang (from ernie called "Capone")
    • Large Cream Angel Fish ("Bubba" very passive and sets the tone in the tank,, nobody messes with "Bubba" but he dont take no trouble from anyone in the tank)
    • Small Singapore Angel (named "Gump" since he has similar color as the Cream Angel Bubba --- Bubba Gump)
    • Yellow and Scopas Tangs (both from ernie also named "Sunny and Cher")
    • a MATED pair of 4 stripe damsels (they lay eggs on the back of the tank every month or so)
    • Another pair of Oce Clowns in the large bubble tip nem in the middle that often looks like a long tentacle nem lol) They lay eggs every two weeks it seems..
    20151101_120003.jpg 20151024_120430.jpg 20151024_120426.jpg 20151101_120003.jpg 20151024_120430.jpg 20151024_120426.jpg

DjTonTon likes this.
  4. Jaculus

Jaculus
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Lastly the 125 gal Fuge Sump in the basement. This really is the heart and soul of the system. I purposely split the baffles in this so I have one smaller section in the front for frags and the back middle section for macro and a mantis shrimp that lives in there and thumps my fingers every once and a while.

I run a filter sock about 90% of the time. I went back and forth a few times on running a sock and not,, but with my heavy feeding and possibly slightly overstocked tanks upstairs the filter sock only makes sense as the first line of filtering for me. I have 10 of the 7x16" socks so I only have to clean socks about every three weeks. I change the sock every two days (never longer than three).

Next is the skimmer its an old one a SWC 250 2 originally with two PSK-2500's. Those PSK;s were CRAP. so I replaced with PSK-1000's now which have more output so I had to raise the skimmer up out of the water another inch to keep the skimmate thick. I made a platform for hte skimmer out of the Cermdia MarinePure Blocks for even more filtration for bacteria surface (two 8x4x4 blocks with one 8x8x1 stacked as a platform on top of the others).

I grow Grape and Mexican Claurpa so well I usually have to trim that every two weeks but I also grow Chaeto. I give buckets of Chaeto away each month. Full of pods etc. there is a lot of reef rock in there also for the calurpa to hold onto with a Mantis shrimp in there also.

The current return pump is a Blueline 70 (or Panworld 250PS) it is a power hog so some day when the DC pumps are developed with enough head pressure length (to feed the tanks upstairs) I will switch over to a DC pump. It runs a manifold feeding the tanks upstairs. (By the way tanks upstairs are Herbie overlfow so its even more quiet up there). I also T'd the manifold off to run pvc to my sinik at the other side of the basement so to do water changes I simply turn that valve open to drain the last chamber in the sump down about 15 gal at a time. then My water change station has its own Panworld 100Pxx to stir and feed up to the tank,,, NO buckets!!!!! I currently am running a Mag 12 to feed my four BRS reactor 20150828_063315.jpg 20150828_063407.jpg 20150831_185202.jpg 20150828_063315.jpg 20150828_063407.jpg 20150831_185202.jpg s (GFO, Carbon and two with Bio Pellets) I think this needs to change though I hate the extra pump and the BRS reactors CLOG often.

#4 Jaculus, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  5. Jaculus

Jaculus
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Oh my lights 120 Fowlr has two AI Vegs, 120 reef has two AI Hydras (not 52's) AND two T5 retro kit bulbs and reflectors mounted at the front of the canopy angled down and to the back of the tank.. I love the T5 mix.

The Fuge is on a 23 hour light cycle (no idea why not 24 hours lol) but I run the 6500K LED FLoodlights from Lowes/HD with simple clamp on refectors(the utility workbench type $5) I currently run 4 of those. That is how I get so much growth out of the Calurpa and Chaeto.

6. DjTonTon

DjTonTon
    Expand Collapse
    Saltwater Addict
    C-SEA Member

I embedded your pictures for you when you go to upload next time there is an option to insert full images and you can just click that and it will add your images to the post so people dont have to click on them to open them.

Nice setup!!! also what kind of doser are you using?

7. rogerrgr

rogerrgr
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Looks really good!

8. Jaculus

Jaculus
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Thanks. Used to be a forum admin for 10 years you would think I would know how to embed photos lol. As for the doser it's the jabeo one. Bought as refurbished one from reefbreeders. Think it was $70 or so. To be honest it's not the best. But it doses accurately and for cheap.

DjTonTon likes this.