This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Mr Bill's No Tank Yet

Discussion in 'Member Tank Builds' started by MrBill, Jun 15, 2017.

1. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Hi everyone! I am new to CSea as of this morning. I decided a few weeks ago to hop back into reefing after being aquarium free for 5 years. I live in a downtown loft, so I am not comfortable doing a big tank. I doubt my neighbor downstairs on the 3rd floor would take kindly to me asking if I could drill through his ceiling and use his 2nd bedroom as a sump. I settled on the Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 for when I eventually set this up.

I didn't like any of the lights on the market yet, so I chose to build my own. RapidLED was great and had everything I could want for light building. Here are the parts I got from them.

LightParts.gif

I started building and coding side by side so I could bounce back and forth as inspiration (or roadblocks) hit me. I am using the Adafruit WICED Feather to control these as I would eventually like to tie it into the Amazon IoT cloud to see if I can figure out how to control it from my mobile. One of the things I found lacking in every other light controller was the sunrise to sunset spectrum shift. Some have scene-to-scene fading and other had sin wave based global dimming, but none had anything resembling a natural spectrum shift based on the absorption of individual spectra at depth. So I coded up a quick program which allows me to enter the absorption coefficient of the primary wavelength peak of each LED channel, tell it how deep under water I want it to be as well as channel levels for noon day sun. This is the first test using a cheapo RGB LED behind a sheet of translucent white acrylic. It is a bit bluer longer since I chose 50 meters depth for this test. It was fun to see how the sunrise and sunset stretched out over time as I set the depth higher.

Last night I finished up the mechanical and wiring for the light proper. There is no control on it yet and all channels are being driven 100%. The light balance isn't bad at all with this LED mix and on my photography light meter I get an ISO100 EV of 16 at 12 inches. I really need to borrow the club PAR meter and see what this light is putting out. Even through the 50% white translucent plexi it is blindingly bright. Hopefully I will be able to get the controller mounted up, coded up and controlling this light over the weekend.

LightTest.gif

#1 MrBill, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

The par meter is on loan to another member right now, but is due back VERY soon. I will call the oerson who has it and last and let you know as soon as i have it.

3. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

No worries. I won't have any livestock for well over a month yet. I still have things to build and lots of code to write before I am ready to get things wet.

4. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Sounds like you are very knowledgeable on the D.I.Y. lights. We would live to have you come talk to the club about it.

5. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I have read quite a bit, but this is only the second light I have built. I would be happy to share my experience.

6. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Cool. We can talk about it more. Are you coming to the meeting tonight? I may be able to get the par meter there.

7. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I just found out about it this morning. I should be able to make it. Is the PAR meter packaged up well enough to take comfortably on a bus? I am a city-dwelling public transportation reliant kind of guy.

8. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Yes, its a small box. The club does require a deposit check of $100.00 made out to the club, to be held, not cashed, and returned to you when you return the par meter.

9. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Great, thanks! I will bring the checkbook just in case it is returned tonight.

10. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

It is supposed to be here in a few minutes. Should have it for you.

11. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

I never got it.

12. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Thank you so much, Dave for taking time out of your day and rock out of your tank to help me get started. I am seeing 250-350 PAR throughout the top half of my tank after moving the light up 4" or so. The bottom corners are getting just over 100 PAR with all channels driven full and the water still a bit cloudy, so once I start running the full sunrise/sunset cycle I should be able to keep most anything in this little tank. One amphipod has been running laps since I dropped the rock in and the mushrooms look right at home.

13. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

No problem at all. Size does not matter when it comes to your tank. Just as long as you have fun and enjoy it ! We look forward to seeing some pictures. Down the road, I may have some other things for you too. Any other things you need, just ask. I have a BUNCH of dry rock too, if you need more rock. No need to go buy it.
    And when your ready for that tank upgrade.... I have some of those too !
    Lol ! Can't wait to see the D.I.Y. light build at one of our upcoming meetings. Sounds like it provides all the light you will need !

14. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Here is the latest build shot of the little 10g tank.

BothLights.gif

15. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Keep them coming !

16. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

This is a shot of the mushroom that hitched a ride in on your rock. To get rid of the crazy blue tint from digital trying to shoot UV and RB LEDs this is shot with a Tiffen 85 filter by my niece on her Nikon. I think it turned out pretty well.

[​IMG]

17. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Bunus ! I did not know it was there.

18. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

So sad that photobucket took a left turn on us. Here is a rhodactis I added late last week. It is starting to open up and show some color.

[​IMG]

19. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Wow ! I had no idea it was there. When it splits, pass one back to me ! Thanks ,

20. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

This one was a purchase. The green one was there and had 2 babies further up the branch.