This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Reef Lighting

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussions' started by dallas, Oct 6, 2017.

1. dallas

dallas
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Switching from black box led's. What's everyone's thought on the best lighting for overall coral health. I'm thinking about going to metal halides.

2. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Hot and have to change bulbs often. Many people are going back to T5's. Or a T5, L.E.D. combo.

3. Forestwalker101

Forestwalker101
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Im curious as to why your switching from leds. There are a lot of good full spectrum upgrade kits for black boxes if your having hardware issues. I know at least one person in the club has gone that route. My leds are old two channel blue and white and my corals have been doing well on just that but i plan to upgrade at some point to full spectrum.

4. dallas

dallas
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I have 4 of the full spectrum black boxes, that I upgraded the pcb boards with the sb reef lights layout and spectrum. Im just not very happy with the growth I'm getting. I have a chiller on my tank so the heat isn't a concern for the metal halides that's why I've been thinking about the switch to them. Also the par reading I've seen for the black boxes are super low

5. dallas

dallas
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I have 4 of the full spectrum black boxes, that I upgraded the pcb boards with the sb reef lights layout and spectrum. Im just not very happy with the growth I'm getting. I have a chiller on my tank so the heat isn't a concern for the metal halides that's why I've been thinking about the switch to them. Also the par reading I've seen for the black boxes are super low

6. dallas

dallas
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I've thought about upgrading to some name brand leds instead of the black box ones to hopefully gain better par levels. As for the heat of the metal halides I'm not concerned about that cause I already run a chiller on my tank. I just am trying to find the best possible lights for coral health and growth.