This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Reefbreeder Photon V2 24 Inch

Discussion in 'DIY & Hardware' started by tdmartin102, Mar 4, 2016.

1. tdmartin102

tdmartin102
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I just received my new light fixture from ReefBreeders.
    [​IMG]
    Six control channels 44 LEDs with 5 watt and 3 watt LEDs for a total of 130 Watts.

Channel 1; 2 Osram 660nm Deep Red.
    Channel 2; 2 Semi LED 520nm Green.
    Channel 3; 12 Cree XT-E 450nm Royal Blue. 5 Watt
    Channel 4: 10 Cree XT-E 55000K Neutral White. 5 Watt
    Channel 5: 8 Cree XP-E 480nm Cool Blue.
    Channel 6: 10 Semi LED 420nm Violet

WiFi remote, programable with one hour steps.
    2 year warranty from ReefBuilders (USA)

After a few months of reading specs and reviews I finally chose this fixture based it fitting my needs, value and reputation of the vendor.

Running at 15% of its capacity it is putting out more light than my previous fixture. I fully intend to borrow the clubs PAR meter and take some measurements. Mind you my previous fixture was extremely inadequate, so I am thinking I will probably end up running it at 60% or higher of its capacity.

From inspection this is an impressively well made light. I can't point out a single thing that I find less than excellent.

It is way to early to say anything about reliability or how it does with corals, time will tell.

This is the largest single purchase I have made to date with my hobby (obsession) and I have to say that I am quite pleased.

I'll slowly be ramping up the output over time. The PAR meter will help me determine the target output level.

2. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Very nice ! I hate to be rude and ask......but.....how much was it ? The par meter is currently on loan to a club member, but i will find out when they will be done with it, and put you on the list to be next to use it.

3. tdmartin102

tdmartin102
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Not at all. I paid $400. Which was about 50 more than I was planning on. But still, imho a great price

4. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Does not sound bad at all, was just curious. Ty. Keep us posted on your progress, growth and future observations.

5. DjTonTon

DjTonTon
    Expand Collapse
    Saltwater Addict
    C-SEA Member

oh i have their first version and i have ahd them for about 2 years they are great. This new version is super slim compared to mine!!

remember start off low 20-30% and build up from their esp if you didnt have great lights on the tank in the past you dont want to burn out any of your corals.

6. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

How do these lights compare to the Ecotech Radions? I'm still new to the hobby and I just don't understand why one company can sell a fixture for $750 and one half the cost. But both do the same or not? Did you look at the radions?

7. tdmartin102

tdmartin102
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I don't have a lot of experience with other light fixtures, I just have done research on the web.

I wanted to leave florescent technology behind me because it was annoying trying to recycle the old bulbs and constantly be wondering if the light spectrum of my existing bulbs was still okay or not. So I focused on LED.

I looked are Radion, Kessil and the like and the price was just a deal breaker for me, so probably like you, I was really wondering if I absolutely HAD to spend that kind of money. The argument for the more mainstream products is the quality of components, the warranty, the level of research and testing that went into the design of the product. When looking at less expensive options it became clear that you risked sacrificing these qualities.

However, after CAREFULLY reading reviews of alternative fixtures it became clear that you could absolutely get long term (years) success, in terms of growth of coral and reliability of the product, with some of these fixtures.

I started focusing on ReefBreeders because of so many positive reviews about the support of the company and the warranty that they provide, plus a large number of users that have had great success with their fixtures.

It really comes down to:

• do the fixtures do the job
    • can you rely upon the fixture to last
    • does the company to stand behind it.

I feel that there are options out there that can meet those requirement that are NOT mainstream Radions and Kessils. I ALSO feel that there is significantly higher risk in going with a fixture that is not one of the big guys. For me I felt the risk was acceptable and am willing to try this out.

So far, I think this fixture is awesome. But only after a couple of years will I be able to whole heartedly recommend it. This particular light is new and so there is no one out there with years of experience with it. The previous generation fixture from ReefBreeders had many reviews from hobbyists with LONG TERM success, and clearly these lights are a step up from the previous generation, so I felt fairly confident in choosing them. As you can tell from my response I poured a lot of sweat into this decision.

I would be interested to hear from any others that have purchased a low cost light fixture and have had a good experience. Or those that have been disappointed.

davesfish likes this.
  8. cmador

cmador
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Used version 1 photons on my old 6' tank and will be buying a version 2 photon for my next tank.

9. cmador

cmador
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Any update? How's the fixture working out for you?

10. tdmartin102

tdmartin102
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but I was not sure HOW to respond. I just bumped it up from 30% to 40%, but so far I don't see any growth with my coral, but I feel the need to expand on that. There may be more going on than just the lighting here. My corals slowly faded over the corse of about 2 years. I have been blaming this on the poor lighting I had during that time. There is a possibility the coral is damaged at this point and simply will take a VERY long time to recover. Also about 5 years ago all the coral was exposed to an accidental low dose of copper. I saw no effect on the coral at that time, but who knows what kind of hit they took then.

I have seen other changes however. I have this annoying growth of some sort of macro algae that has pretty much taken over my tank, which is a dark green with the texture of something like a Brilllo pad or scotch bright pad. It is very tough and pretty much impossible to pull off rocks. For some reason this new lighting has 'bleached it' It is turning a very light shade and shrinking. I did not expect this at all. I mean, there is more light, you would think that would mean the algae would be happy not the opposite. Also I have seen a jump in benthic life, which again is a complete mystery to me why that would happen, but it HAS to be because of the lighting as that is all that I changed. I have also seen my little hermit crab quite a bit, and in the time Ive had him (8 years) I think I have seen him maybe a dozen times.

Yesterday, I bought a small mushroom coral and put it in. I want to see what happens to something that has no history with this tank. So don't judge this by my experience so much as I think I have a lot of other issues going on.

I love the light itself and DANG it is bright.

I got to borrow that PAR meter!!

11. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

There has been a big demand to borrow the par metet lately. I will start a thread as soon as I have a minute, and people can request it so nobody gets skipped.

12. cmador

cmador
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Thanks for responding. Well, I just got my new photon, but just started cycling the tank this weekend. I loved my old photons and I grew everything, Sps, lps, anemones and giant clams. This one is much better looking, too. Here's a picture of it over my new tank - a Red Sea reefer 250. I'm back in davefish.
    [​IMG]

13. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

VERY COOL !!! The tank....and you getting back in ! Glad to have you back. Looks like a nice tank. What did you do with the old one ?

14. tdmartin102

tdmartin102
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Wow. That looks great! It's so exiting to start a new tank. Let us know how everything goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. cmador

cmador
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Thanks guys. The old 150 is still sitting empty. It will be filled again. I just don't know when and if it will be salt or fresh.

16. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Salt....salt.....salt.......SALT !!! LOLOLOL ! New tank looks great !