This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Triton Method

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussions' started by Craig wolfe, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Craig wolfe

Craig wolfe
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I have heard a lot lately about the Triton method. I am thinking of transitioning over in the next few months once my dkh settles and I can get a well developed micro algae refugium going. Is anyone currently using the Triton method? If so, what are your first impressions?

2. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

If you haven't checked out the most recent BRS TV episode I would highly recommend it. Their tests showed that PAR levels in the refugium need compete with that in the display tank if you want to use the a refugium as your primary nutrient export. My little 10 gallon is currently in the process of stabilizing with blooms happening back and forth. Chaeto is my only means of nutrient export as I do not plan on doing large water changes. My method is somewhere in between Triton and Red Sea. We'll see how well it works.

davesfish likes this.
  3. Craig wolfe

Craig wolfe
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Are you sending tank water samples off for ICP testing to test your trace element levels? If not what is your testing regiment to keep trace elements in line?

4. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

My plan for trace elements is to use the Red Sea colors system after my tank calms down post-cycle. For now I am still trying to dial in the consumption on my foundation elements. I may do the Triton testing once a year or so just to see if anything is grossly out of line. If it is I will likely do a massive water change rather than try to add a dozen different additives and balance them all with each other. If I was looking at a 120 gallon I might consider using the Triton reagents, but in a baby tank like mine big water changes are still economical and not terribly labor intensive.

Chaeto definitely works if you give it enough light. I feed every day in this tiny tank and I am sitting at 0.00ppm nitrates and 0.01ppm phosphates. I am getting solid chaeto growth and the tiny ball I added has grown to almost fill the medium aquafuge in just a couple weeks. I will need to start harvesting soon.

5. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Save me some !

6. MrBill

MrBill
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I can bring some on the 12th. Your "melting chaeto" problem has me baffled. Are you running GFO?