This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

UV sterilizer... Good idea, or bad idea?

Discussion in 'DIY & Hardware' started by underthesea, Sep 19, 2013.

1. underthesea

underthesea
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I have the chance to purchase an 18w sterilizer for 20 dollars never been used, I have a 55 with 30gl sump, zoas, birdsnest, Palys, softies, Monti . I have been dealing with Dino's for about 6 months they came back when I moved the tank and stirred the sand. Would it be of any benefit to my tank and sanity to use the sterilizer???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. underthesea

underthesea
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I also have an LTA...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. Frogspawn

Frogspawn
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

From what I've read that is a question you'll get many answers to. Some say its good and cleans the tank. Than there's the debate it cleans good stuff out the tank that your corals need or that are beneficial. I personally have never ran one but would only consider if I kept several tangs in my tank to deal with possible ick or at least help with it. There's other things to do..to deal with your Dino like gfo and carbon...smaller water changes once a week instead of larger every two weeks or month. Thing is something is causing your Dino maybe your rodi filters need replaced maybe to much lighting ect ect. I would try to find the source of your problem and test your phosphates and nitrates and go from there. Just my opinion thou hope some one else gives their thoughts on this

4. chuggy

chuggy
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I've never really heard of any negative effects of uv but I could be wrong. As the other peeps said though probably not gonna be a cure all but I don't think it could hurt. I run a 55 watt
    on my 125 with 80 sump